Slow Motion Fapping



I wonder if there's a demand for this kind of video or not. I'm guessing not, but who knows?

Frames are very esoteric in fighting games. Or at least, in my experience, very very few competitive fighting game players actually understand a game on a frame-level, let alone being able to apply that knowledge (Buk's one of a kind).

Anyway the point of the video is to show a little quirk with SF3 3S Chun-Li's EX Spinning Bird Kick. A lot of players thought it had no invulnerability frames and that it just had a tricky hitbox. They would go on and on about what moves could beat it and what moves couldn't, etc. However, it's clear when you watch the video that there is actually 8 frames of startup invulnerability. But the startup for the attack is 12 frames, so it's invulnerable for the first 8 but then becomes vulnerable on frames 9-12, the 12th frame being vulnerable but also attacking which means it could trade on that frame.

Anyway, that means it could blow through meaty attacks with less than 9 active frames.

But upon experimenting with the EX SBK I also discovered that the damn thing is vulnerable to Ken's SA3 (shippu) even during it's would-be invulnerable frames.

Like, near the end of the video I start hitting the SBK on frames 1-4 when it should be technically invulnerable, but Shippu hits it anyway. Why? I have no idea. It's clearly not a hitbox thing but a special property, as in it's invulnerable to any attack less than a certain strength.

It doesn't have anything to do with the superflash "draining" the invulnerability duration out of the move either, because I activated the EX SBK after the screen freeze, and just to prove a point also before the screen freeze and during the screen freeze.

Anyway I also discovered that Ken's Shippu is invulnerable until it's active hitframes, so it will pretty much blow through and hit anything that isn't invulnerable or above the first kick's hitbox (like a UOH will go over the first kick so a UOH can stuff it).

Though oddly it's still vulnerable to throws, heh.



- Copyright © Xenozip.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember hearing about how 3s apparently has a priority hierarchy system where: supers > specials > normals

It's been a long time ago, so I don't remember too well where I heard this from. I think I learnt about this from the old, "Ask Dr. Sub Zero" podcast.

This system doesn't seem to be set in stone. For instance, Ken's fierce dragon punch and Necro's Magnetic Storm super can actually trade with Chun's back fierce and Q's crouching RH.

Those normals could have some special priority property that allows for them to be an exception to the hierarchy of priority's rule.

Who knows how really priority works in 3s. I haven't heard much discussion on this topic.

--Clear Sky

Xenozip. said...

Thanks Clear Sky.

I think the priority system that most people normally refer to is cancel rules. Like how supers cancel specials which cancel normals. Which also means that superjumps, being a normal move, can be canceled on startup by specials and supers.

This is the first I've heard about priority mattering regarding invulnerability, but after seeing Ken's shippu hitting Chum during inv I'm inclined to believe it.

Jorge said...

I would love the name for that song.