Smash Revealed

I was eavesdropping on a conversation between Mauve and Tropsy when Mauve mentioned the words "versus-platformer" and Tropsy responded with "like Smash?".

It was like an epiphany. He was right. All this time I'd been thinking Smash was a fighting game. But it all make sense now; it's not, it's a versus-platformer.

To be fair, I've never actually played Smash. But I tell you; that realization sure was a load off my mind, now I can see the game for what it is and take it at face value. Sweet.

Incidentally I'm now also convinced that 3D fighting games are kind of like versus-beat-em-ups (like a versus River City Ransom) while 2D fighting games are not. Well, crap like VF5 and DBZ, anyway.



- Copyright © Xenozip.

5 comments:

Charles said...

Mind you SNK DID make a 2D VS Beat-em-up so yeah your right about that one, I'm still trying to remember the name of it too because it was funny as hell.

...but Vs-Platformer? I like that way of viewing it, makes ALLOT more logic then a fighter that's for sure.

Anonymous said...

I believe you're referring to Aggressors of Dark Combat, Charles.

Anyway, I don't get it. Aren't fighting games just 1-on-1 beat'em ups?

Xenozip. said...

Well "beat-em-up" is kind of a broad term. I would say smash is more like a versus "platformer" game with different levels of the playing field, random variables, limited short ranged melee, and items.

3D fighters remind me of beat-em-ups because of the ability to strafe around your opponent, just like a 2D beat-em-up with a 2.5D playing field. It effectively gives you the ability to dodge attacks and run away almost indefinitely in some games (and not others). Where as 2D fighters have clear-cut corners and dodging is only implemented as a manual function if it exists at all. I would say 2D fighters are more like "arena beat em ups" like a boss fight in a typical beat-em-up.

Charles said...

@Anonymous
Your right it was Aggressors of Dark Combat. Thanks for the name.

Anonymous said...

You're welcome Charles.

@Xenozip
The Smash part made perfect sense, I just didn't get the 3D fighters are like beat'em ups part. But now I see what you mean.
Games like Virtua Fighter are more like the vs mode in Streets of Rage: you have some movement constraints, but they are not as pronounced because of the 3D playing field. Your opponent can try and corner you, but it's much harder to do and easier to escape.